Keep Your Mattress Clean
A good mattress that is properly maintained should last 10-20 years, depending on the quality of the mattress. The following steps should help prolong the life of your mattress.
Dirt and debris can build up on your mattress, lowering its life span. Following the guidelines below will help keep your mattress clean. If you have purchased a Mattress Protection Plan, please contact them before trying to clean up the stain yourself.
Do not eat or drink in bed.
Even though it is tempting at times, do not allow your pets to sleep in bed with you. Pet dander can embed itself in mattresses and stay there forever.
Use a mattress pad and wash it in hot, soapy water at least 3 times a year, or if it becomes stained. It is much easier to treat a stain right away.
Flip or rotate your mattress every 3 monthes or so to keep it evenly distributed and reduce uneven wear.
- Memory foam and hybrid mattresses should only be rotated from end to end.
- Innerspring mattresses should be rotated from end to end and turned over.
- If individuals sleeping on the mattress vary greatly in weight it should be flipped or rotated more frequently.
- If the mattress is for a guest bed, it can be flipped or rotated less frequently.
- It is recommended to have another person assist to make the job a bit easier.