Tips for a Good Night’s Sleep
A recent survey found that more people are sleeping less than six hours a night, and sleep difficulties visit 75% of us at least a few nights per week.
If you find yourself struggling from sleeping difficulties, there are some tricks that you should try:
- Engage in calm activities before bed.
- Stay on a regular daily sleep schedule.
- Invest in a comfortable, supportive mattress.
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Avoid caffeine, cigarettes, and alcohol before bedtime.
- Allow at least two hours to digest your food before going to bed.
- Exercise on a regular basis, but not to close to bedtime since it can cause your body to be too stimulated to sleep.
- Do not use your bedroom for other activities, such as work, using a computer, or watching television. The bedroom should be a serene and relaxing environment without distractions.
- Do not nap during the day.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, cool and comfortable.
- Keep your clock out of sight, so you don’t focus on the time when you can’t fall asleep.
- Drink warm milk before bed. The tryptophan that is found in milk can help enhance the ability to fall asleep.
- Do not depend on sleep aids.
- Get out of bed and leave the bedroom if you are unable to fall asleep. Engage in something relaxing and go back to bed when you feel sleepy.