Knowing which height chair to choose for your space can seem like a challenge, but there are a few rules of thumb to go by. First, if you're just buying dining chairs and you already have a table or eating area, measure that first. Find out how high your table is, whether it's standard, counter, or bar height, and then buy the appropriate height seating to match.
If you're buying an entirely new kitchen or dining room set, though, you have a little more leeway to decide which height will work best for your unique needs and style.
Keep these tips in mind when browsing pieces and sets:
- Many people consider standard height chairs and seating to be the most formal and traditional of the three options. If you're creating a formal space with traditional decor, standard height may be the best option.
- Alternately, counter and bar height are considered more modern. If you're looking to put together a space that feels more casual, less stuffy, and a little more edgy or fun, consider these two seating and dining heights instead.
- Standard dining chair height is thought to encourage seated conversation, while counter and bar height are great for quick and informal gatherings. Think of the types of holidays, parties, and get-togethers you host most often and which of these settings is the most conducive to your events.
- Counter height allows you to have more prep or storage room in your dining area. If you're looking for furniture that gives you extra space for small appliances or cooking, this height may be best.
- Standard height chairs and dining sets are better for areas that have more physical space. If you're looking for a dining set and chairs to go in a small area, such as an apartment or a small breakfast nook, counter or bar height may be better. If you're furnishing a whole separate dining room, standard height may be the most appropriate.
These days, dining sets of all different heights are available in a variety of styles. Whether you're looking for something modern, industrial, farmhouse chic, rustic, or transitional, you're likely to find the set in several different options. Which is best for you depends on your personal style, preferences, and use of the space.